Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bob & Deb in Paris

This Monday Bob and Deb arrived in Paris and brought me a plethora of goodies from America. Some stuff were thing I needed (like prescriptions), while others were things that are merely WAY too expensive to buy here (cashews) or unavailable all together (Jose Cuervo). It was like Christmas, but exacerbated by the fact that I hadn't had a Starburst or Twizzler since I've been here. I had to shew my parents out of my apartment about 30 minutes after they got here, unfortunately, because there plane was delayed and I was already cutting it close with my 1:30 class. I had fencing that evening as well, but met back up with B & D afterwards and we just hung around my apartment for a little while.



Yesterday, I went over to their hotel by Ecole Militaire (just east of the Eiffel Tower) and we went to breakfast in their neighborhood. Ironically we ate on Rue Clair, which is the street we stayed on when we came here seven or eight years ago. We had a nice little breakfast and then we went our separate ways since I had to go to ESCP for my afternoon class. They went on to Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame. We met back up after my class and we went out to dinner and grabbed some groceries to host a little preparty that night. Every Tuesday a big group of us go to this club near the Arc de Triomphe called Le Duplex, because on Tuesdays before 1am international students get free admission and buy one get one free. Since I had Tex-Mex materials for the first time in five weeks, I naturally had to host a Texas Tuesday before we all went out to the club. We bought a bunch of wine at the grocery store (just because we didn't have very much tequila) and then my mom made nachos while Cameron and Lauren whipped up some impromptu quacamole and I served up margaritas. A group of girls from our program gave over and we all hung out for awhile before my parents got tired and went home and we all left for the club.

Today, being Wednesday, I met them at their hotel for a late lunch. We went back across town to the Latin Quarter to go to this restaurant they read about, but they'd already closed from lunch and we had to just walk around and find a nearby boulangerie / cafe. From there, they rode the metro with me to ESCP and I showed them where I go to school. Since I had to go to international finance, I directed them down the road to the famous and massive St. Pierre cemetary. It houses a bunch of famous people like Jim Morrison in addition to Paris' elite and wealthy. After class ended at 8pm, I headed back down to the Latin Quarter for a second try with the restaurant we tried to go to earlier, the Coupe Chou. This time around we were able to get a table, and we were treated to an excellent meal. We got a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red to share, escargot as an appetizer, than we all had our own 3-course meal. I got the exact same thing as my mom: salmon with some interesting cream sauce, a beef and mushroom stew, and finally a creme brulee. It was all super good. After dinner we parted ways and I came home to get ready to go to Florence tomorrow. Check back in after the weekend for Florence stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment