Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sheep Cheese & Mozart (Bratislava and Vienna) Part II

We got into Vienna and headed straight for our lodging. One of the girls we've met through our program who goes to university in Vienna was going to be home for the weekend, so she was nice enough to offer for the three of us to crash at her apartment. Cameron, Lauren, and I cleaned up a little bit and then we all went out to a little nightclub underneath the metro.

The next morning I got up early to have a productive day before having to head back to Bratislava for my flight home. My plans were somewhat foiled when Ivonne and her boyfriend decided to make breakfast for the three of us, but I ended up being able to get out into the city around 11am, which is still earlier than the majority of the days I start on trips like this one. We started off in Stephansplatz and saw the Cathedral of St. Stephen, called Stephansdom. The old city is all pretty clustered together, so I walked through some of the nicer, ritzier shopping areas near Stephansplatz toward the Habsburg palaces. The series of buildings that made up the Habsburg areas were certainly something to behold; I walked through all the public areas outside and out into the massive grounds called the Hohengrasse (?), where Hitler made his famous speech after "victoriously" entering the city. It was a little bit weird to be standing in a place where a couple million people would've crammed together to get their 'heils' in.

We walked around the ring that surrounds the old city center for a little while longer and then stopped at Cafe Landstmann, which our friend Ivonne had recommended to us. I got an Austrian beer, Ottakringer, and a traditional wiener schnitzel. I thought it was going to be a sausage dish but it was a pan-fried veal flank served with a raspberry sauce. Very good regardless. After lunch, I hopped on the metro to go to the international bus station, hopped on a bus to Bratislava airport, and then caught my 6:30pm flight back to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment